this year's transition from school to work has been a lot of change for me. after 16 years of education it was a shock to move on to something else.
i forget that i don't get to just take the summer off. i keep thinking about upcoming vacations and days at the lake in the sun, but then i remember i will have to squeeze all that fun into the weekends, because i will be inside - pale and air conditioned - all summer.
my job is the same all day every day - i don't switch at the semester. this is probably the biggest shock. i am used to spreading myself over a lot of different projects that were all required of me and although my job has a bit of variety i have found that i have to come up with projects on my own. its nice to be able to have the time and ability to put work into more things that i actually want to do, but it has been surprisingly difficult to come up with things that i really want to spend time on.
when i leave work at the end of the day i am done - no homework. this is probably the best one. it kinda goes along with the previous one... when david is doing his homework i always ask if i can help (the answer is usually no since i dont know about electromagnetism and nanotubes), but i kinda miss the assignments. wait. no. i really dont miss that.
people actually care if you show up. in college if i felt like going to get ice cream rather than go to class there wasn't anyone there to stop me, but at work people would know if i skipped. not that i skipped classes in college (seriously, i skipped like 5 classes in the whole 4 years i was there), but knowing it was an option was nice.

4 comments:
I can completely relate. Real life stinks sometimes :) You have more money to do the fun things you want to do, but now you don't have the time! I worked for a year after graduating and luckily had a flexible job, but it was still a hard adjustment. Now that I'm home with a baby and my husband goes to work, I love my life but I really wish we could get the vacation time we had in school. Oh well.
This is funny because I always think that Brent is going to get the summer off too. Fortunately, he has quite a bit of vacation time saved up. This year he's going to girls camp with Elizabeth and then our Utah trip. This is probably the most time he's taken off in years.
Your lucky you don't have any homework! I feel your pain though. I will be working too- brainy homework. Just kidding.
I saw your title on my reader, then I read your post and I laughed. The word 'transition' takes on a whole new meaning after childbirth :) I hope you get some really great long weekends during the summer to make up for all the time spent inside!
Post a Comment