naan
1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
1 cup warm water
1/4 cup white sugar
3 tablespoons milk
1 egg, beaten
2 teaspoons salt
4 1/2 cups bread flour
2 teaspoons minced garlic (optional, but good)
1/4 cup butter, melted
in a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. let stand 10 minutes. stir in sugar, milk, egg, salt, and enough flour to make a soft dough. Knead for 6 to 8 minutes on a lightly floured surface. cover dough in a lightly oiled bowl with a damp cloth, and set aside to rise for 1 hour, until doubled.
knead in garlic. pinch off golf ball sized pieces of dough and roll into balls, place on a tray. cover with a towel, and allow to rise until doubled in size, about 30 minutes. meanwhile, preheat grill to high heat.
roll dough balls into thin circles. Place dough on oiled grill (we used a george foreman and it worked great!), and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until puffy and lightly browned. brush uncooked side with butter, and turn over. brush cooked side with butter, and cook until browned, another 2 to 4 minutes (we didnt use butter and it was good - also, if you're using a george forman theres no need to flip). remove from grill, and continue the process until all the naan has been prepared.
3 comments:
Ok I have a new career path for you. Food picture taker. I'm sure there is a technical title for this, but your food pictures are unbelieveable. Really. Thanks for sharing the recipe because it looks delicious.
Curry soup and Naan? What other surprises do you have in store for us. I have never even attempted those and were going on 28yrs here.
I can just read your next post saying- Possum soup with fried Indian bread and cashew corn that we grew ourselves from the recipe we got from the Dalai Lama.
Hi! in response to your comment on my page...yeah, we were easily spending that much too!! And we wonder why we don't have any $$!!! We started doing better about planning in advance for bills...I got this big dry-erase calendar from Target, and we wrote everything on it, and hung it in the kitchen. We're also trying a weekly allowance for each of us, like $15-$20, so if I want to eat out one day, I can, but each week I have to budget it. So far, it's been working pretty good.
Post a Comment