Tuesday, April 29, 2008

travel.

when people ask about what i majored in at byu and i tell them 'travel and tourism' it usually draws a blank stare always followed by the question 'oh, do you want to teach?'

i didnt get a teaching certificate, so thats not really an option. sometimes i feel i need to justify my decision to choose this major, because most people see it as a waste of time and have ideas of all the students in the geography department as just sitting down and memorizing countries and capitals (which it isnt at all). here are 5 good reasons why i chose my major:

1. i like to plan and organize and i hope to someday work in either corporate travel or corporate events (planning travel/conventions for businesses), which are both travel and tourism related and require a lot of planning and organization.

2. geography is such a broad topic, its hard to get bored of it, because it encompasses everything from unique cultures to mapping software.

3. it was one of the shortest majors at byu. okay, not a great reason, but a really good side benefit!

4. i truly believe that through travel the world would be a better place. sounds crazy, right? but seriously, if people traveled more and saw the world from a different perspective i think they might have a better chance of understanding each other and working through problems rather than fighting.

5. i love to travel and i want to be able to do so and to help others plan the best vacations ever.

also, i have a minor in business, which i love for very different reasons.

can you tell i am having a hard time thinking of things to blog about?

5 comments:

hartleyhouse said...

Good for you! I think your major sounds like fun! And you can use it in so many ways.
My major was home ec education and people do the same thing! They want to know what on earth you do with that major. The great thing is I'm one of the few people that uses my major everyday!

Danielle Richardson said...

Travel is cool. i wish i could travel. and i love your random blogs so dont stop! they make your blog interesting cuz i never know what i'm gonna get to read about. whether it is watching a guy drive around in a tiny car. or seeing the shelf your dad made or nanotubes... lol

Debie Spurgeon said...

I don't see this as being a stretch at a blog topic.
I think it's a fascinating major. I've always been interested in the world, especially cultures.
Have you pinpointed all your touristy stops on your trip yet?
I think we're coming to visit the first of July.

Jan said...

That is the best major I have ever heard of. It beats nanotubes. I think that would be so fun to do exactly what you majored in. I never even thought about it. I would probably be out into the world instead of a mother though. I guess I will travel with them. Not boring at all Sarah.

Noelle said...

Sarah,
I just found your blog and have to say I'm thoroughly enjoying it. :) It sounds like we have similar lives right now (BYU grads, married, no kids, desk job.) I sometimes feel like I have to defend my major to people to, but mine doesn't even have as much as an application as your does. I studied "Humanities." I get the "oh, are you gonna teach?" question all.the.time. Anyway, I'll be reading your blog now, blogging passes the days for me. :)
Noelle (Tanner) Bastian