Friday, April 25, 2008

questions.

dear bloggers,

i have a few questions for you, they're random, but if you've read my blog before you're probably used to that by now.

where can you find rhubarb? we dont seem to have any in the regular grocery stores (smiths, albertsons, maceys, etc.) around here.
does rhubarb freeze well? once i find some, will it be possible to freeze some until i need more?
where do you get those small kerr/mason jars? the pint and/or half pint ones.
whats the difference between regular jam and freezer jam?
where can i find pectin? is it on the same aisle as the knox gelatin?
are there any good raspberry and/or strawberry jam recipes out there?

if you know the answer to any or all of the above questions please leave a comment - our tummies would appreciate it :) david's birthday is coming up and i want to make him his favorite cake in which rhubarb is a key ingredient. also, jam just sounds like a good addition to this spring weather we are finally getting today!

6 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Ok, here goes.
The jars are usually located in the housewares dept. at Wal-Mart. Closer to summer they have their own section and you can also find pectin there also. Rhubarb isn't on for a month or so, but I'm sure it's available brought in from warmer climates. It freezes very well. Just clean it and cut it up into slices.
I love Rhubarb. Strawberry-Rhubarb jam and pie are some of my favs.

Elizabeth said...

Im sorry. I dont really know an answer to any of these questions. I love strawberry-rhubarb jam though!

Sweet Cherie said...

I have found frozen rhubarb in some stores in the freezer section near the frozen strawberries and other fruits. You'll probably have to choose a more high-end grocery store like Safeway. Wegman's and Harris Teeter have frozen rhubarb here. I don't know if you have either of those stores. If you use frozen rhubarb for the cake be sure to thaw it and drain off some of the water. Frozen rhubarb ends up soggier than fresh rhubarb, which makes the cake soggy and makes it bake a little funny. I found that out the hard way. Just use a strainer, paper towels or cheesecloth to get some of the extra water out. Grocery stores will carry rhubarb in the produce section at some point, but its usually only for a couple weeks a year. Maybe Uncle Bruce has rhubarb and you can get a bunch from him this summer and freeze it. Good luck! I love that cake!

Jan said...

I had nothing for you Sarah. But I learned alot in here. So thanks everyone.

Anonymous said...

OK this is THE best jam recipe, and it lasts for 2 years in the freezer!!

4.5 Cups of crushed strawberries
3 cups of sugar (or 1.5 cups of sugar. 1.5 of a sugar substitute. if you use all sugar substitute like splenda, it tastes NASTY and doesn't set right. )
1 box of SureJell pectin. (The one in the pink box)
1 cup of water

Put the crushed strawberries into a big bowl.

ok in a pan dissolve the pectin and sugar into the water. Put it on high heat and bring it to a rolling boil. once it's rolling, time it. It should be on a rolling boil for EXACTLY!!! one minute.

After one minute pour the water-pectin-sugar mix into the bowl with the strawberries and whisk it together until its well mixed.
It should start to look like jam now, but too runny. that is NORMAL.

Pour the almost-jam mixture into containers (or jars) with tight fitting lids.If you use kerr/mason jars, you DO NOT need to seal the lids. Put the lids on and let them sit at room temperature over night or for 6 hours. In the morning (or after 6 hours) freeze the ones you aren't using and enjoy:) when you are ready to use the ones in the freezer let them thaw at room temperature or in the refrigerator.

~Elizabeth and Kenley's favorite girl cousin on their dad's side:) aka, Jessica.

Sarah Jones said...

ooh thanks for the recipe! I will definitely try it!