Friday, April 3, 2009

random potluck post.

Last night we went to David's mission reunion, which was a potluck. Potlucks make me so nervous. We were assigned to take a 'green or fruit salad' - David requested frog eye salad (cold pasta & fruit salad - no frogs eyes, although the name is definitely not appealing) and I was a bit nervous, because there are always those certain dishes that are left mostly full for the night. This often happens when something does not look familiar and that salad does not look familiar to most people (although in my opinion it tastes great). As we were going down the line a girlfriend of one of the guys commented on everything. 'Look at this junk!' and 'What is that!' (real classy) As we approached the dish we brought, I was so nervous about what she would say (and how I was going to respond if she was rude about it). Shockingly, she didn't say anything, but she didn't take any either.

I am the total opposite of that girl - if something looks weird or different I make an effort to take some so that people don't leave with a full bowl of whatever they brought. Usually, the things taste really great! Last night we left with half a bowl of what we brought, so that wasn't too bad, but I think I will make the decisions on what we take to potlucks in the future (looks and taste must be equal), just to avoid all the anxiety!

Also, you never know who made which dish and how sanitary they were as they prepared it.

Am I alone in my anxiety over potlucks!?

3 comments:

Debie Spurgeon said...

Here's my take on pot lucks. They don't bother me a bit. I'll eat anything. I do know several people who get very nervous to eat and them though. I get it, I just eat anyway.

I can't stand to see someone's dish untouched either. I always take some. Unless it's jello containing carrots, I couldn't do that one.

Stephanie said...

I simply do not like them. I hate the whole "buffet" style thing. I don't like that some things are devoured before everyone can get through the line while other stuff sits untouched... and mostly, I don't where or who prepared the dish and how clean they & their house are. so I pretty much try to avoid potlucks at all costs.

Natalie said...

Here's a topic---who is the girl that had the nerve to make such rude comments about the food. Everyone knows that at polucks the only acceptable comments are positive ones because you never know what your neighbors brought...

PS: I usually don't mind when whatever I brought goes untouched, because I only make things that I like...more for me at home :)