
I don't know what building this is, but it looks cool.

College of Nanoscale Science and Engineering
(This is just one building. You can't fit the whole complex in one picture!)
The funniest thing about all of this is that I wasn't even planning on applying to graduate school until the end of this year, since most of the deadlines for physics programs are in December and January. However, my research partner, Hiram, told me I should try to find some programs that have later deadlines and apply, just to see what happens. As I started doing some research on graduate schools, I was focusing only on physics programs and I couldn't find anything I liked. Then, I decided to narrow my search a bit and look specifically for nanotechnology schools. That's when I found the Small Times rankings. (Small Times is a nanotechnology trade magazine that is very well known in the feild). When I saw that SUNY Albany, a school I had never heard of, was ranked #1 in nanotechnology for the second year in a row, I was very intrigued. After a few minutes of browising their website, I was hooked. While most people apply to as many as ten graduate programs at a time (which can cost hundreds and even thousands of dollars), I applied only to one - and got in!
I think the thing that really helped my application was our trip out to Albany. Actually going out and meeting with professors is the best way to get to know the school. It's also the best way for them to get to know you, which can make all the difference.
I can't wait to get started!
5 comments:
way to go davey! we are so excited for both of you & excited that you will living so close to us. we can't wait for you guys to move out here.
Yeah! You guys will be within road trip distance of me. What fun!
Congratulations David, awesome job.
Brent was asking me all these questions about it and I didn't have a clue what to tell him. I'll have to let him read this post to get the scoop.
Congratulations DAVID!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!! Way to go, we are totally impressed! I hope you love it there.
Post a Comment